Last night, for whatever reason, it finally dawned on me that Estella and I are pretty much the same. How have I never noticed before? I know there’s that old saying that your horse is your mirror, but I don’t think that’s exactly the case. I think that she is herself, but that self happens to be just like me. Is that a product of nature or nurture, or the fact that like attracts like? That I’ll never know, but it does give me some insight into life with her.
When I look at myself in honestly, I see that a lot (both good and bad) of who I am is what I see in Estella.
- She’s needy. She needs lots of love, attention, admiring, and most importantly: food.
- She’s pushy. She’s not afraid to be pushy in order to get her way, and it works. She always gets what she wants.
- She’s selfish. She wants what she wants and she wants it now. She’s not afraid to sacrifice a lease pony in order to get her food.
- She’s bold. She’s not afraid to investigate new things and is always curious. Although if something scares her, it really scares her.
- She’s loving. She loves to love and be loved. She’s so affectionate and sweet.
- She’s very food motivated. Seriously, she will do anything for good food.
- She’s pretty dramatic. Especially when something bothers her.
- She loves social media. How many horses do you know that smile automatically when you get your phone out?
- She has a great work ethic. As long as it’s something she wants. If not, good luck. It’s all or nothing.
- She’s very passionate about things she loves. When she loves something, she gives it her all. She really goes above and beyond.
It’s so funny to me to describe her and feel like I am describing myself. I have always thought about how what she does gives me feedback on what I am doing, but have never thought about how who she is being so closely related to who I am. It gives me a new perspective on being with her, and really takes the “treat others the way you wanted to be treated” to a whole new level. I can already foresee changes in our relationship based on that principle, in seeing so much of myself in her.
Do any of you guys have a horse that is the same as you?